What could be sweeter than a holiday party inspired by the sugar plum fairy, made famous by the story of The Nutcracker? With purple swirl meringue kisses to share with friends and instructions for making your very own lollipop ornaments out of upcycled egg cartons, this party is like holiday spirit all wrapped up in a shiny bow!
Whether your kids are familiar with the story of the Nutcracker or just love anything ballet themed, this themed party will feel like pure magic and whimsy to them. The best part? This is one of those themes that you can take some creative liberties with. Personally, I like to imagine the sugar plum fairy's world as one filled with candy, color, and pops of glitter and iridescence—and my daughter agrees! Using d√©cor, party treats, and crafts, you can turn your kids' fantasy into reality and recreate your very own sugar plum fairy themed party during the holidays.
Sugar plum fairy themed d√©cor
To bring the sugar plum fairy theme to life, I recommend starting with some festive d√©cor. I created a party scene by using a colorful fringe backdrop, a matching balloon garland, and peppermint swirl and candy cane balloons in pastel colors. Let's not forget the tinsel! I went with silver, but you can choose any color you like. Adding a Christmas tree to your party set up is a plus! I decorated a faux white one with candy ornaments to match the theme.
For a whimsical tablescape, I recommend incorporating nutcrackers, bottle brush trees, Christmas bulbs, tall candles, and a holiday garland into your design. When shopping or raiding your craft closet, look for items that will add texture to your table. Pastel plates and partyware with silver accents will make everything sparkle!
Sugar plum fairy themed party treats
The world of the sugar plum fairy is filled with candy and sweet treats, so I made sure to reflect that in my party spread. In addition to homemade swirled meringue kisses, I served cupcakes with Nutracker themed cake toppers. They add instant fun! Look closely and you'll see all the characters represented: Clara, the mouse king, the sugar plum fairy, and even the nutcracker himself. Last but not least, it's not a holiday party without a warm cup of hot cocoa. Jazz it up with mini white and pink peppermint marshmallows to stay on theme!
Swirled meringue kisses recipe
Meringues make the perfect sugar plum fairy themed party treat. They're dainty and delicious, and I love that you can tint the swirls any color to match your party d√©cor. Ready to make your own?
- 6 oz Nellie's Free Range Eggs, whites only, room temp (the whites of about 6 large eggs)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar or a large pinch of cream of tartar
- Gel food coloring
- Decorating bag
- Star tip
- Thin brush, optional
- Heat oven to 200F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk and beat on high speed until soft peaks begin to form. With the mixer on medium speed, gradually add in sugar, then vanilla and vinegar. Increase speed once all ingredients are added and beat until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Using a small paintbrush, paint 3 vertical stripes of food coloring inside a pastry bag fitted with a star tip (if you don't have a thin brush, you can add food coloring to the meringue itself and gently fold and swirl the color in instead).
- Fill bag with meringue, and pipe 1 3/4" swirls, 2" apart on prepared baking sheets. As you finish piping each shape, apply less pressure to pastry bag, and swirl the tip off in a circular motion.
- Bake meringues until crisp on the outside, but still soft inside, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
Sugar plum fairy themed craft
My daughter absolutely loved creating her own DIY lollipop ornament out of an upcycled Nellie's Free Range Egg carton. It turned out so pretty that she could barely wait to hang it on our Christmas tree!
DIY upcycled egg carton lollipop ornaments
To make your own egg carton lollipop ornaments, you'll start with empty egg cartons. Have you ever noticed that when you sit one on top of the other, the little egg cups that cradle each egg make a shape that looks just like a lollipop? With a touch of glue, glitter, and some holiday magic, you can turn your empty egg carton into lollipop ornaments in every color! Here's how:
- Nellie's Free Range Egg cartons
- Acrylic paint
- Fine glitter
- Chunky colorful glitter (optional)
- Paint brush
- Mini cups, bowls, or mugs
- Paper straws
- Cut out individual egg carton cups. Paint them in the colors of your choice and sprinkle with fine glitter. Let them dry completely.
- Glue two painted egg carton cups together. Let dry.
- Cut a piece of paper straw and glue it to one of the egg carton cup bottoms.
- Using glue, create a thin swirl on your painted egg carton cups and place pieces of chunky glitter on it.
- Cut a piece of string, create a loop, and glue it to the top of the egg carton cup.
- Tie a ribbon to your lollipop stick to finish the look!
Voila! An adorable Christmas ornament that you'll cherish for years. Hang it on your tree, on a wreath, or make a whole batch of lollipop ornaments and string them together for an eye-catching garland.
I hope you have the chance to recreate these sugar plum fairy themed party ideas and enjoy this magical season with your children! Happy holidays, friends!
Did you create your own sugar plum fairy party? Tag your photos with #nelliesfreerange so we can see! Or click here to see our other fun afternoon activites you can enjoy with the kids. And don't forget to check out Twinkle Twinkle Little Party for more inspiration.