Talk about spooky! Don't worry, these creepy crawly spiders aren't real—they're actually made from upcycled Nellie's Free Range Egg cartons! My kids know that Halloween only comes around once a year, and between the themed parties, choosing costumes, and trick-or-treating, there are so many fun activities to take part in. Well, you can add another one to your list: DIY egg carton spiders. This hands-on craft is great for kids of all ages, and my two kiddos had a blast making them. Even adults will have a scary good time. You're never too old to be afraid of spiders!
DIY upcycled egg carton spiders
Chances are you already have most of the supplies you need to create these egg carton spiders; check your craft closet and recycling bin, then grab a couple bowls or mugs from the cupboard, and you're halfway there. Putting these spiders together couldn't be easier. You'll just need to cut out the individual egg cups from your cartons, do a bit of painting, and add some finishing touches. My kids used pipe cleaners for the legs and googly eyes to bring their spooky spiders to life.
- Nellie's Free Range Egg cartons
- Acrylic paint
- Paint brushes
- Mini cups, bowls, or mugs
- Pipe cleaners
- Googly eyes in varying sizes
- Hole punch
- Cut out individual egg carton cups. Paint them in the colors of your choice. Let them dry completely.
- Cut 2 pipe cleaners in half, then fold those cut pieces in half again to create 8 legs.
- Punch 2 holes on each side of your egg carton cup and attach the legs by poking the bent end through the holes slightly, and then twisting them on the inside of the cups to secure them in place.
- Attach googly eyes to the cups using glue to bring your spiders to life!
I hope you have a blast making these egg carton spiders with your family. Remember: don't be afraid to let your kids' imaginations run amok. After all, that's what Halloween is all about!
Did you create your own egg carton spiders? Tag your photos with #nelliesfreerange so we can see! Or click here to see our other fun afternoon activites you can enjoy with the kids. And don't forget to check out Twinkle Twinkle Little Party for more inspiration.