Homemade ornaments are so special. They hold memories that last for years, and they bring my family lots of joy when it comes time to decorate our Christmas tree. There are countless ways to use what you already have on hand to create beautiful ornaments at home. I've seen everything from salt dough ornaments to pine cone ornaments, but one of my favorite ways to get creative during the holiday season is by upcycling my family's empty Nellie's Free Range Egg cartons. That's where the idea for these pretty purple lollipop ornaments came from.
DIY upcycled egg carton lollipop ornaments
To make your own egg carton lollipop ornaments, you'll start with empty egg cartons. Have you ever noticed that when you sit one on top of the other, the little egg cups that cradle each egg make a shape that looks just like a lollipop? With a touch of glue, glitter, and some holiday magic, you can turn your empty egg carton into lollipop ornaments in every color! Here's how:
- Nellie's Free Range Egg cartons
- Acrylic paint
- Fine glitter
- Chunky colorful glitter (optional)
- Paint brush
- Mini cups, bowls, or mugs
- Paper straws
- Cut out individual egg carton cups. Paint them in the colors of your choice and sprinkle with fine glitter. Let them dry completely.
- Glue two painted egg carton cups together. Let dry.
- Cut a piece of paper straw and glue it to one of the egg carton cup bottoms.
- Using glue, create a thin swirl on your painted egg carton cups and place pieces of chunky glitter on it.
- Cut a piece of string, create a loop, and glue it to the top of the egg carton cup.
- Tie a ribbon to your lollipop stick to finish the look!
Voila! An adorable Christmas ornament that you'll cherish for years. Hang it on your tree, on a wreath, or make a whole batch of lollipop ornaments and string them together for an eye-catching garland.
Did you create your own egg carton lollipop ornaments? Tag your photos with #nelliesfreerange so we can see! Or click here to see our other fun afternoon activites you can enjoy with the kids. And don't forget to check out Twinkle Twinkle Little Party for more inspiration.